Notices to Mariners Week 10
UKHO Permanent/Preliminary/Temporary Notices to Mariners
1. ENGLAND – South Coast – Buoy. – The yellow buoy just outside the Eastern entrance of Dover harbour had been moved slightly in week 8 vide NtM 805. It is now temporarily removed. I think that is one of the the Historic wrecks?
2. ENGLAND – East Coast – Depth. – Small reduction of depth on the west side of the bottom of the Blackwall Reach, River Thames. A shoal patch off Saunders Ness. – worth avoiding.
3. ENGLAND – East Coast – Foul. – Harwich Haven Authority notified us of a lost anchor in the Bawdsey Anchorage last year vide HHA No 25 of 2020 (repeated by UKHO 5378(T). The position was: 51° 57´·44N., 1° 31´·15E. Harwich Haven have, this week, notified us that anchor has been retrieved (vide HHA 5 of 2021) but this Temporary UKHO is saying another anchor has been lost very close to the previous location! PS – this just in from the HHA, it is confirmed the ‘new’ lost anchor is wrong. It should just say the lost anchor vide No 25/2020 has been recovered. Harwich will ask the UKHO for a correction.
1. REQUESTS FOR VESSELS TO PROCEED WITH CAUTION OR AT SLOW SPEED – When a reduction on vessel traffic speed is required, the term “Proceed with Caution” or “Proceed at Slow Speed” is used by London VTS in appropriate broadcasts.
The following should be noted by Masters, Berth Operators and other river users when requiring speed reductions requests be broadcast: 1. As a guide, requests for reduction in speed are appropriate for activities such as diving, salvage, heavy lifting, working on the waterline from scaffolding or pontoon/small boat, and bunkering operations. They may also be appropriate where the mooring facilities are limited e.g. when the vessel overhangs the berth or when a vessel is about to take the ground at a Not always Afloat but Safely Aground (NAABSA) berth. 2. A request for a reduction in speed of passing traffic should not be sought as an alternative to good seamanship such as the proper tending of lines and moorings in a tideway. When London VTS has agreed to broadcast a reduction in speed: 1. The activity requiring the speed reduction will be identified in the broadcast, from which Mariners should judge the speed appropriate to the circumstances. 2. The person responsible for the request must ensure that the vessel or installation concerned is displaying the international code flags “Romeo Yankee” by day, and illuminated rigid replica by night. Failure to do so will result in the termination of the broadcast. 3. London VTS should be informed as soon as there is no longer the requirement for a speed reduction and the Romeo Yankee signal removed. The speed reduction broadcast by London VTS will also be terminated.
2. Whitaker No 3 & 5 Lighted Buoys, River Crouch – Mariners are advised that Whitaker No 3 & 5 Lighted Buoys in approximate position: 51° 40.424’N, 001° 04.719’E and 51° 40.038’N, 001° 03.217’E are currently unreliable.
3. Bawdsey Anchorage – Mariners are advised that the anchor previously lost in the Bawdsey Anchorage in the following approximate position. 51° 57.44 N 001° 31.15 E Has now been recovered.
4. THE SWALE – FERRY REACH – KINGSFERRY BRIDGE – Lifting Restrictions 8th March to 11th March 2021 – Peel Ports have been notified of scheduled maintenance work at Kingsferry Bridge between the above dates meaning lifting restrictions will be imposed affecting all vessels. Work to rectify issues with the gates will result in NO bridge lifts being possible during the periods stated below.
Date HW Sheerness 1 NO BRIDGE LIFTS From To HW Sheerness 2
08.03.21 07:40 10:00 18:00 20:23
09.03.21 09:12 11:00 19:00 21:48
10.03.21 10:30 12:00 20:00 22:55
11.03.21 11:27 13:00 21:00 23:47
Admiralty Chart Number 2572 refers. Further information may be obtained from Medway VTS on VHF Channel 74, call sign “Medway VTS” or telephone 0151 949 6148 or 0151 949 6650 or from Kingsferry Bridge on VHF Channel 10.
5. Port of Wells is………dredging
6. Navigation Closure on Oulton Broad (Mutford Lock) Lowestoft. – due to essential maintenance works Mutford Lock system will be closed from 08:00 Monday 08 March until 17:00 Thursday 18 March 2021.
Grid ref TM 52097 92805 (a plan can be seen on: Notices to Mariners in the Local List). Signage will be in place to warn of closure. Please contact the Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 1RY Tel (01603) 610734 if additional information is required.
Link to details – http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page9.html
Local NtMs compiled by and reproduced by kind permission of Roger Gaspar, author of Crossing the Thames Estuary